Clams!!

The Moontanman wrote:

>I have always used small clams or mussels. There are species that do not
grow
>big. I currently use a species of freshwater clam that doesn't get much
>bigger than your thumb (maybe 1 1/2" ) They do well in warm tropical
water. I
>am big into various crustaceans and mollusks for freshwater, as luck would
>have it they are seldom for sale where I live. Does anyone know an online
>service where you can buy freshwater invertebrates?

My reply:

Azgardens sells clams but a warning; I purchased mine from Azgardens but
they suffered HEAVY losses in transit.  Only one in five survived the trip
and long term only one in eight.  Then again, I'm in Florida; Azgardens is
in Arizona somewhere I gather.

Another warning: Some clam species ALLEGEDLY produce zooplanktonic young
who may become lodged in the slime layer of slow moving fish. The zoo-baby
clam burrows into the skin and dies, but causes the fish to surround it
with a white cyst. Now here's the rub; the cyst LOOKS like ICH!

I came across this benign condition at one of our better LFSs that I sell
plants to.  A 15gal long tank with 6 angelfish marked "quarantine"; each
fish had the white spots (far less numerous than what real ich looks like
but VERY visible).  I returned to the shop two weeks later to see the same
6 fish w/ the same white shots in the same places and looking none the less
for ware.  I asked "Why aren't these fish dead?" The dept head then
confided the story about some research he had read about the clam
zooplankton-scaring problem. The quarantine sign was a ruse to fend off
questions from those that wouldn't understand and would think they were
selling "sick fish".

The fish were expensive gold/marble angels.  I guess they had no heart to
destroy them.  They just couldn't sell them. Their tank was well decorated.
They lost one a month before when they tried to scrape the cysts off.  The
delicate fish could not survive the trauma.

This seems to be a problem that arises under two conditions:
1.	With successful high clam populations.
2.	Tanks w/ some species of slow-moving fish.

I am no expert on this condition.  I have never faced this problem with my
clams/fish and I don't have many clams. I invite comments from anyone who
has specific knowledge of this syndrome and how it may be prevented.

D.Chang;

"Those who know HOW will always have a job...
Working for those who know WHY."

See my Aquariums, Stumps and Plants at;
http://www.mindspring.com/~boukmn/Boukmn_s-Homepage.html