Re: live fry food

In a message dated 10/25/1999 3:58:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

> I have a community tank with a few Kribs
>  that breed on a regular basis. I never
>  remove the fry and even if I wanted to I
>  think it would be almost impossible
>  because the tank is so heavily planted.
>  On average 2 or 3 survive to become
>  adults almost every time a pair breeds.
>  I do not feed any special food to the
>  fry  but I can see them nibbling away at
>  something. Are they eating algae or is
>  there some very small critter in the
>  tank that they are eating. Is there any
>  kind of very small live food I can
>  introduce to the tank that will
>  reproduce and serve as a better food
>  source for the fry.
>
>  Wayne Jones

wayne,

i'm surprised to hear that only a few fry survive.  i don't know what else
you keep in that tank, but i have had kribs, apistos, Nannacare anomala and
Betta pugnax spawn in heavily planted tanks, and most of the fry survive to
adulthood.  in the case of the dwarf cichlids, there is also parental care.
and yes, there is lots of infusoria, algae and other microorganisms that live
in a well established tank, in the substrate and on plants.  your fry are
nibbling on that and also left-over flake or frozen food.  the leftover food
also feeds infusoria and other cultures.

all my tanks are community tanks, so there were plenty of predators for these
fry but as i said, most grew to adulthood.  kribs as a matter of fact become
a pest as they are so prolific.

tsuh yang chen, nyc