RE:Angelfish eating H. polysperma, was Duckweed Biofilter!?

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:18:29 +0000
From: "Susan" <snotabby at earthlink_net>
Subject: Re: Duckweed Biofilter!? Forget it!

Bob Ashcraft writes:

> Hmmm... that's strange.  I've actually introduced it purposely into my
tanks
> on several different occasions, only to have it disappear within a couple
> weeks. ::: snip ::: possibility is that the Angels are eating it.  They've
all
> but trashed my H. polysperma.

Then, Susan wrote:

It may not be your Angelfish eating it Bob! I've seen my SAE's hoovering
like a hummingbird at the surface picking it out from amongst the Salvinia.
They love the stuff.

Have you any SAE's in those tanks that you cannot grow it in? <G>

Susan,

Other than about 20 Angels, give or take a couple, the only other inhabitant
is a lone Cory Cat.  They started eating the H. polysperma a couple months
back when I cut back on the amount I was feeding.  I've been having a
problem with high phosphates and thought it was from overfeeding.  Still
haven't gotten it down though, even with frequent water changes and large
additions of N and K.

BTW, awhile back, there was some discussion about how long a bottle of CO2
should last.  Last night, my 5 lb. bottle went dry.  I last had it filled
the second week of January, 1999.  So, at 1 1/2 - 2 bubbles/second during
the day and about 1 bubble/3 second at night, it lasted about 9 months.

Bob Ashcraft
Pittsburgh, PA

The company I work for is being audited for the Malcolm Baldrige Award.
There are inspectors everywhere.... I need to find a place to hide.