Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1342

Larry Jones wrote:
>What about plants like Rotala spp. that tend to develop red leaves as
>they grow near the light and green leaves at low light levels?

I've seen extremely red Rotala at low light levels (2watts/gallon). I've
seen washed out green Rotala at high levels of light too. There are
exceptions to everything in plants, good point. I did say more *and* less
light? There are many, many factors as to why a plant is red or green or why
it changes. Steve was specifically asking about emersed Ammannia. What color
does Rotala look like emersed<g>? I've had Ammannia grow very orange and
yellowish and I also have it growing blood red submersed. It changes color
no matter what from the submersed color when emersed growth occurs in my
experiences. This color is greenish. Perhaps someone has grown it were it is
red still? I have 2 species of Ammannia and 2 species of Nesaea so I'm not
confusing the plants either.
I believe they are revising these genera also. Each plant is unique and has
evolved different ways of handling stresses. "Most" reddish plants tend to
do this(go green) as they grow emersed. Thanks for asking!
Regards,
Tom Barr