Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1340

Steve wrote:
>I read with interest an article in the latest TAG about the problem of excess
>bacterial growth in newly submerged organic soil aquariums. The author
>highly recommended the use of snails and detrivores like catfish
>especially Otocinclus and Plecostomus.

Otto's and snails are my favorite for the last 10 years and now( I just
started keeping these about a year or so ago) also SAE's. Cory's are great
too.
I too had "slime" on some of my soil substrate tank's plants in the past. I
ran Ozone and UV to try to control this (didn't work well). Water changes
was the only thing that helped to any degree.
FWIW,
Regards,
Tom Barr