About CEC ? ? ?

I am a bit confused as to what in the substrate can
provide CEC (cation exchange capacity)  Is it only
"clay-like" matter in the substrate that can do this
or can fish poop, mulm (and decomposed organic
material in general) also accomplish this--this is
what I read on the net.  Is there any truth to this???
 The article also sited that in nature, some of the
CEC comes from decomposed organic material, not just
clay since not all aquatic plants grow where there is
clay available  Also, please mention any other
material in the substrate that can also accomplish this.

=====