RE: Duckweed Biofilter!? Forget it!

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999 20:40:02 -0400, Dwight <boukmn at mindspring_com> wrote:

This is truely a vile weed that came in on a traded plant a year ago that
is impossible to get rid off if even the slightest bit is missed.  I
finally got rid of it when I retro fitted my tanks with my "easy" filter.
I caution anyone using duckweed as a biofilter.  Yes, it is a most
effective NO3 extractor but it will cover the surface in no time, even if
the original intention was to keep it separate from the aquarium...a BIT is
all it takes.

BTW, if anyone wants duckweed I have one last ten gal w/o the "easy"
retrofit that has the surface covered w/ duckweed. I'll send it all to you
FREE.

Hmmm... that's strange.  I've actually introduced it purposely into my tanks
on several different occasions, only to have it disappear within a couple
weeks.  I'm guessing it's because the nitrates are relatively low... less
than 10.0 ppm, probably less than 5.0 ppm, this test kit is really hard to
read.

Another possibility is that the Angels are eating it.  They've all but
trashed my H. polysperma.

Bob Ashcraft
Pittsburgh, PA