Re: Substrates again

Hi Tom,

> From: "II, Thomas Barr" <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
>     Personally, I like the no flow idea. Nothing to plug in. Nothing to zap
> you with a jolt of electricity in the tank. Nothing to clog up or break.
> Simple is good. One less thing to worry about. Just you and your dirt.
When opting for No flow/osmosis method, what is your 'dirt'
combo/layering preference?  From what you mentioned, anaerobic spots can
be reduced by using less soil... is that garden soil (from the nursery)
you're referring to??.

>    Doing a RFUG:
<snip>
> I could inject the tank with fresh laterite yearly by pushing it into the
> RFUG slowly. This way you wouldn't even have to touch the gravel to
> fertilize. Just pour it down into the RFUG grid/manifold/spraybar and it's
> all over the roots.
When you said 'pour laterite', I assume the laterite (eg. Duplarit G) is
mixed into a slurry and poured down the uplift tube... doesn't the
laterite flow past or clog the substrate level??  I understand the
particles from laterite is quite fine and tends to cloud up the water
when disturbed.

> My advice if you wish to do RFUG's: Make your own out of CPVC or PVC. It'll
> cost you far less and allows greater depth penetration and less root
> tangling.
I'm interested in the on 'depth penetration' bit... please elaborate and
do you have any design suggestion for PVC based manifolds to ensure even
distribution of nutrient (eg. PMDD)?  A dear friend offered the
following design;

 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   X = Tank
 X O +-+ +-+ A-A +-+ +-+ O X   O = Lift-tubes
 X | | | | | | | | | | | | X       (both openings above water level)
 X | | | | | | | | | | | | X   | = PVC pipes with holes
 X | | | | | | | | | | | | X   + = PVC elbows
 X | | | | | | | | | | | | X   A = PVC down tubes
 X | | | | | | | | | | | | X
 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

He was of the opinion (hypothetically speaking) that nutrient could be
fed down the PVC down-tubes (A) with a reduced flow from a T and
hopefully, nutrients could be distributed evenly.  Given a moderate flow
rate, water will pass thru the pipes without coming out from the uplift
tubes.  Any comments? ... spacing between pipes, flow rate, etc...  It's
a bit early, but I'm planning this for a future 60x30x30inch tank.

Thanks again,
Ronnie