Eheim surface extractor

Stay away from this; I had one and took it out.  It was a waste of $30.

It is noisy unless the water level is absolutely perfect and since I don't use glass tops on my aquaria, the water level is never perfect.  Also, both shrimp and small fish get into it from the top and go into the filter.  I rescued several this way (all lived remarkably enough).

I find that with a water change every two weeks that the surface stays pretty clean.  I guess it might depend on what you feed your fish and what the bioload is.

Roxanne Bittman