Re: roots

Hi Roger,

> Aquatic plants can take in nutrients at either roots or leave.  I've read
> that that aquatic plants switch from root feeding to foliar feeding when
> dissolved nutrients are high enough to supply the plant.
>From where did you come across this info?  If you have the book's title
or ISBN #, I'd like to read up.

> Taken literally this means that even if the substrate is very rich the
> plant won't use nutrients in the substrate if there are sufficient
> nutrients in the water column to supply the plants.  I'm not sure that was
> the author's intent in writing that passage, but that's how it was
> written.
Is this absorption particular to specific plants or all plants in
general?  I was under the impression that root-feeders like Echinodorus
and crypts rely on substrate fertilization and draw nutrients more from
the roots than it's foliage, thus the practice of shoving Jobes' sticks,
laterite balls and whatnots into the gravel.

Cheers,
Ronnie