Re: sterilizing soil

Hello,

if you are trying for a critter free tank then you are in the wrong field
;)  in fact organisms in a tank is an indication of a healthy system.  The
*ONLY* thing that I bleach is the buckets, tools and various other items I
use on the tank, nothing that would go IN the tank i.e. plants.  My
question is what type of organisms?

Ed

I read in several terrarium books that you should sterilize the soil by
baking it in the oven in a covered container for 180 degrees for one
hour.  Is this to kill weed seeds or to kill parasites?  I only ask
because I have some of the oddest organisms growing in my tank.  Since I
bleached all of my plants before I set up the tank and quarantined all my
fish with copper for 3 weeks I can't think of  where else they would have
come from except the garden soil I use.  Does anyone sterilize their soil
before they add it to the tank.  Should we be doing this?  Would this
affect nutrients at all?  I imagine this wouldn't smell to good.  I'm
getting ready to set up a new tank.