Re: Absorbsion via roots

Hello,

this is simply NOT true for all aquatic plants.  While some fall into this
catagory like java moss which has modified leafs (if you can call it that)
to cling to surfaces you also have others like the sword family which DOES
have standard roots as we think of them.

In fact it would not suprise me if there are some 'algae' in freshwater
enviroments that has roots in the traditional sence.

Ed

In a message dated 10/12/99 8:07:37 PM,

I reasoned that plants have roots and algae does not. If I deprive the
algae of nutrients in the water column, the plants will grow and out
compete for algae, hence starving the algae. Algae has no way of getting
to the nutrients, lacking roots. >>

It is my understanding that aquatic plants DO NOT absorb nutrients through
their roots, that the roots are only for anchoring and that the vast bulk
of nutrient intake is in the plant above the roots. Anyone care to
comment?