Re: Question on CO2, aeration, fish load, and water...

< Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 16:46:52 -0400
< From: "M Firoozfar" <mfirooz at bellatlantic_net>
< Subject: Question on CO2, aeration, fish load, and water...
<
< Hi folks,
<
< Just getting back into the hobby after a 4 year hiatus and have a few
< questions regarding my 30G planted tank.  The setup consists of 30G
< glass tank, 75% Flourite, 80 watts of Grow-Lux, Triton, and Power-Glow,
< 150W Ebo-Jaeger, one of those new Fluval 104's with spray bar in the
< back, and cylinder CO2 bubbling out through a bubbling airstone (tiny
< bubbles). Fish load is on the high side with 6 diamond tetras, 5
< red/black (cyclone?) tetras, 2 dwarf gouramis, 2 small angels, and 2 oto
< cats.   Plantwise, there's a %50 plant cover (tropic sunset hygro, dwarf
< sag, water wisteria,
< oriental water fers, small amazon sword, and few others I can't
< remember).
<
< Here are the questions:
<
< I'm a bit concerned about oxygen supply to the fish.  Should I be?  With
< the CO2 being injected pretty much constantly into the tank, I'm getting
< a PH between 6.0 and 6.5 with a few bubbles on the plants here and
< there.
< There is also a little surface aggitation from the spray bar.  I don't
< really see fish gasping for air at the surface... yet.
<
< With the high fish population and the tank having been setup for only a
< week or so, I'm a bit worried about ammonia content.  < snip>

Wow-that is a really heavy load to put on a tank only a week after setting
it up. I would strongly recommend to anyone giving a new planted tank a
month before adding fish to it. Since I started doing this I have never
had any algae problems in new tanks.

You are courting an algae disaster IMHO.

       Gerry Skau

       He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.
       -Oscar Wilde