Re: CO2 levels and KH

Michael writes:

<snip>> I know this is talking about a specific pH rather than a specific
change in
>  pH, but it still doesn't jive with what I've been reading lately on the
>  APD, or for that matter with my real-world experience.

Sounds like you're over-complicating it all.

>  Here's a question: Does it require more CO2 to change the pH, say, from
8.0
>  to 7.0, than it does from 7.0 to 6.0?

The pH scale is logarithmic.  A pH of 7.0 has ten times as many H+ ions and
one-tenth as many OH- ions as a pH of 8.0 .  Same from 6 to 7.  It takes more
CO2 to lower from 7.0 to 6.0 than from 8.0 to 7.0.

> Would that explain my pH's seeming
>  reluctance to change at pH 7.8 and 7 dKH?

Nope.  Well, actually, maybe.  How's that for a definitive answer?  THe
chemistry in your tank is unique to your tank, and there are probably other
factors you are overlooking, or failing to add into the mix.

Bob Dixon