Glosso and Riccia

Folks are chatting about how much light it takes to grow glossostigma
and riccia:  >>> I am pretty sure that your 2.1 w/gallon isn't enough
for glosso and probably not enough for the Riccia to do well, especially
if you are trying to grow it at the bottom of the tank.
	> I have a 125 gallon planted aquarium.  At the moment I have
260 watts of
	> light.  I am in the process of getting Riccia Flutans and
Glossostigmata
	and > wondering if this seems to be enough light.>>>

I have a 125 gallon tank (which is 24" high) with 320 watts of lighting
which has grown both glosso and riccia like gang busters.  I'm guessing
that I have even less light that the 125 gallon tank mentioned above
because 110 watts of the 320 watt total is on only a couple of hours per
day.  So I've really only got 210 watts plus some fraction for the extra
110 watt fixture.

I'm also guessing that the vertical glosso growth is relatively new
growth.  At least my glosso grew in vertically before it laid down and
covered the footprint horizontally.  It takes a bit of patience or you
can keep jamming it down in the gravel to try to force it to grow
horizontally.  Both methods have worked fairly well for me.

The only other point I would make is that glosso seems to prefer fairly
soft and perhaps also slightly acid water.  At least these are the
conditions under which it has done well for me.

Regards, Steve Dixon in San Francisco