Re: White Diamond by Marineland

Scott writes:

> I saw some surprising numbers this weekend on how effective White Diamond is
>  at keeping ammonia and nitrite spikes lower during a cycle period.
> Apparently,
>  this is accomplished through ion exchange and Ca and Mg are replaced by Na
> and  K.

Explain further, please.  How does Tim say that softening the water reduces
nitrite or ammonia.  I can see how lower alkalinity, and along with it the pH
would reduce the risk of ammonia poisoning, but this I don't get.

> My question is this, if I already have an excess of Ca and Mg, will the
> added
>  K be more beneficial than the lower ammonia and nitrite? Don't bother
> flaming
>  about this(the ion exchange or the lower ammonia and nitrite spikes), the
> research
>  was done by Tim Hovanec and I am going to take his word over anyone elses (
> short
>  of a professional chemist)on this topic. The ammonia and nitrite were
> several
>  ppm lower in tanks using white diamond. Obviously this would have been
plant
>  food (right?), I just want to know if the K is more important. I was also
> thinking
>  of using the White Diamond after cycling to "trade" some calcium for
> potassium.
>  Would this result in softer water as well? Thanks in advance for your help.

Trading out Ca and Mg and receiving K and Na eill make the water softer.  It
will also increase the conductivity, which is not good for soft water fish,
because it will increase the concentration of Total Dissolved Solids.  Na and
K have a valence of +1, Ca and Mg are +2, so it will take twice as many ions
to replace the Ca and Mg.

Bob Dixon
Cichlid Trader List Administrator
http://cichlidtrader.listbot.com