White Diamond by Marineland

I saw some surprising numbers this weekend on how effective White Diamond is
at keeping ammonia and nitrite spikes lower during a cycle period. Apparently,
this is accomplished through ion exchange and Ca and Mg are replaced by Na and
K. My question is this, if I already have an excess of Ca and Mg, will the added
K be more beneficial than the lower ammonia and nitrite? Don't bother flaming
about this(the ion exchange or the lower ammonia and nitrite spikes), the research
was done by Tim Hovanec and I am going to take his word over anyone elses (short
of a professional chemist)on this topic. The ammonia and nitrite were several
ppm lower in tanks using white diamond. Obviously this would have been plant
food (right?), I just want to know if the K is more important. I was also thinking
of using the White Diamond after cycling to "trade" some calcium for potassium.
Would this result in softer water as well? Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott McLaughlin

Aye Net WebMail 2.0
http://www.aye.net/getmail