Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1286

>     I'm struggling to grow Cryptocoryne balansae. It doesn't die but it
> doesn't thrive either. I planted three nice specimens and within a week
most
> of the leaves melted (no big surprise there). The new growth seems
stunted.
> The old leaves were 12 to 18 inches long and about an inch wide, the (very
> few) new leaves are only 4 to 5 inches long.

I think all you need is patience. C. balansae, correctly: C. crispatula
balansae, takes a long time to get over a transplant. I had mine sitting a
few weeks before it decided to grow decent leaves again. And don't hope for
a rapid development of runners either. They will come, eventually.
Another plant of the crispatula group, C.crispatula tonkiensis, did exactly
the same thing.

Michael Eckardt