Re: Growing C. balansae

> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 18:32:19 -0700
> From: Mark Stahlke <mstahlke at denver_infi.net>
> Subject: Growing C. balansae
>
> Hello APDers,
>     I'm struggling to grow Cryptocoryne balansae. It doesn't die but it
> doesn't thrive either. I planted three nice specimens and within a week most
> of the leaves melted (no big surprise there). The new growth seems stunted.
> The old leaves were 12 to 18 inches long and about an inch wide, the (very
> few) new leaves are only 4 to 5 inches long. The tank parameters look pretty
> good and other Crypts, primarily C. wendtii, do well in this tank. Does
> anyone have any tips for growing C. balansae?

Strange.  I'm pretty new to crypts in general, but I've got C. Balansae
growing like gang busters.  Just recently the plants have begun to send
out numerous runners, so I'll have bonus plants to sell back in about a
month or so.  How is the growth of all your other plants?  I keep CO2
about 18-20ppm, haven't really been fertilizing much at all recently.
Leaves are about 18-24 inches.

I have two little plants in a no-CO2 tank.  They're just wasting away.
Double check your CO2?  How are your other plants doing?  Maybe a little
substrate fert. will perk them up.

--

Kelly Beard (That's "Mr." to you!), Cat IV
President, Allanti Cycling Club (http://www.allanti.com)