Re: Apon crispus pollination

Dan Dixon wrote:

One of my A. crispus has produced a flower spike. I would like to
hand
pollinate it. How is this done? I tried using a fine paint brush and
gently
"painted" the spike. I could see some white powder (pollen) falling
on the
water surface below. Will this work? How long do seeds take to
form? What
will they look like? If I manage to get seeds to form, I'd like to try
and
cultivate them. Anyone tried this?

I pollinated the flower by rubbing my finger over it to distribute the
pollen. Then I ignored it. Seeds formed (kinda brown knobby balls
as I recall, didn't take long for them to form, maybe a week, but it
wasn't all at once. Top of flower spike formed the first ones, then on
down the spike over several weeks), fell into the aquarium, sank,
and germinated. I transplanted to where i wanted them. It really
isn't hard at all.

Cathy Hartland