Tank Photography

Ed Street wrote:

>>High speed slide film isn't as good as print film yet.
>Uhm I assume you've not used the new fuji 100/1000 film?

Which one is that, and how new?  I played with several high speed Fuji
slide films last spring just before we left for Brazil, and was not
satisfied with any of them.

>As for print film being better than slide film that's not true.  Slide
film has more shadow
>detail and when printed retains it's detail.

I was comparing _high speed_ films.  I'll still take Fuji's Super G800 over
any _high speed_ slide film I've seen so far.  Believe me, I _wish_ they
would come out with something better.  We've had the Super G for several
years now.

Ed wrote:

>When I do underwater photography 50 asa (iso) speed is very very good for
>sharp detail work.  Even when I use 3200 B&W the detail is still there but
>you definately have to work with it, plus alot of creationalism.

Well, of course if the question had been about underwater photography, the
answer would probably been different, and it wouldn't have come from me.  I
have no experience with underwater photography.  Remember too, that the
person who wrote the original question was talking about a little "drunk
camera". (as Dave G so amusingly, and I think aptly, calls them)  I doubt
it has underwater capabilities.  There's lots of neat things you can do
with an SLR with manual controls.  I'm sure there are very good under water
cameras out there too, but it's a different type of equipment and a
different application than we're discussing here.

>What I would recomend for any person is to select a brand film and an iso
>(I am fond of fuji sensia II asa (iso) 100 film) and learn everything
>there is about that film, then add a few other types (i.e. ms100/1000 film
>;) but stay away from astia! the colors are way off for u/w usage)  I
>definately do not like kodak film for any type of aquatic usage.

While I don't care for Kodak films either, remember that we aren't really
discussing UNDER WATER photography here.  We're talking about indoor, dry
photography, through glass, and with variably colored light rather than
sunlight.  There are differences.

>there are several great books on photography like the photographers
>handbook, several kodak manuals, papers and there web site is full of
>decent info.

Reading is a great place to start.  But you're still gonna have to put that
film in the camera and start shooting pictures to learn how to do it well.

Karen