Planted Pot Question

What's the best substrate for a clay pot?

I have recently acquired a 15 gallon tank and plan to keep the bottom bare
for fish breeding and maintenance purposes. (a small "bedroom" tank for
eight frisky Corydoras Sterbai). I do however want a planted tank and wish
to establish potted plants in the tank.  I have several plants already
sitting in the tank potted in rock wool and want to repot them in small clay
pots that I will purchase from my local nursery.

Any tips on potting aquatic plants in general will be helpful.  I am
contemplating either using flourite or a mix of laterite and gravel.

Thanks in advance,

Craig David
Long Beach