Re: CFL lampholders, etc. (APD #1279)

> In 1993 or 1994  while living in Vermont
> (i.e., no big cities), I was able to order a pair of
> lampholders and clips for F40/30 'biax' compact
> fluorescent lamps.  I just asked the person at the
> electrical supply store if I could look at their
> Leviton catalog. . .
> <snip>
> And as for using ballasts to drive lamps that they are
> not specified for, here's a quote from a GE Electronic
> Ballast catalog which addresses this subject:
> "Many GE Electronic Ballast models are designed to
> allow for application with different types or
> quantities of lamps.  All recommended applications
> are listed in the performance data charts(pages 8-17).
> Use of products other than those noted is not covered
> by UL Listing and/or CSA certification and cannot be
> warranted."

I too have ordered the Leviton lampholders. I like the lampholders from E. Gaynor Corp. a lot better, but they cost a little more.

Motorola's disclaimer was probably written by their legal department rather than by the engineers.  UL listings are for very specific combinations of lamps and ballasts, and any other combination would not be approved.  But some manufacturers (not Motorola) do list their T8 electronic ballasts for use with F40/30BX lamps (both require about 270ma).  F39BX lamps operate at 430ma, just like a F30T12 or a F40T12. I would venture to guess that they were originally designed to operate using existing F40T12 ballasts many years ago.  So from the ballast's perspective, the lamp easily falls within its operating range.  The problem will be whether or not the ballast provides enuf starting voltage to ignite the lamp.  And the combination may not be UL approved, not because it is unsafe but because the manufacturer has not paid the $$$$ to have that lamp/ballast combination tested and listed.

best regards,
bob