Re: Evolution vs. Creation

** Reply to note from Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com (Aquatic Plants Digest) Thu, 16 Sep 1999 03:48:01 -0400 (EDT)

OKay, since you guys insist on wasting our time with this stuff, let me
inject a fact into the discussion.

The Kansas thing is not about evolution, not about species, not about
Darwin, not about theories.

According to Science magazine, which gets things right more often than
your daily newspaper does, they have removed from the curriculum not only
the (no caps) origin of species, but the Big Bang, _and_ discussions of
the age of the earth as established by radioactive dating and such.

Why the hell they haven't removed the Copernican theory, I don't know.
The Bible states clearly that the earth stands still ("so fast that it
cannot be moved", in fact); and the scientific evidence on this point is
no stronger than it is on the geological record that shows the age of the
Earth at around 4 billion years.

Why do some guys in Kansas object to teaching the implications of the
same physics that gave us the dubious blessing of bombs and nuclear power
plants?  Not scientific or philosophical questions about theories, but
simply a dumb-ass kind of biblical literalism that, while swallowing the
camel of a moving Earth, strains at the gnat of Earth's history.

--
Dan Drake
dd at dandrake_com