Tamarisk as driftwood?

Hi all,

I recently returned from vacation with a few days spent on Lake Powell,
located mostly in southern Utah.  The shores in many places are littered
with Tamarisk Bushes.  Although considered a nuisance by most, because they
spread quickly and out-compete other plant life, I found several dead and
dried pieces that would make very interesting driftwood, IMO.  The bush is
compact, with many fine branches, and a trunk that twists resembling loosely
twisted multistranded rope.  The trunk would be ideal for planting Anubias,
Java Fern, and the like, again IMO.

Anyone have experience or opinions on Tamarisk as driftwood?

Mike Grace
Minneapolis