bleach vs bga

bleach does indeed kill BGA  but so does cooking the algae to
death...sterilizing my gravel substrate with heat kills absolutely EVERYTHING
in it.  I have found that placing the rocks and gravel in old baking pans and
heating them up to a full boil on the gas bbq will take out anything that may
or may not think it is alive. Of course the plastic pirate ship and the
bubbling diver dont do well and i have NOT tried to pour boiling water in my
tanks, somehow i just dont think that the glass would take it (minor
drawbacks in my system).   One advantage of this is no bleach to  neutralize
later.  So far the wife has been extemely narrow minded about this procedure
and has not allowed the use of the oven for it... but hey.... maybe she will
mellow out about it ... (about the time when the creationists and the
evolutionists can agree on what really happened!!)

Steve Collins