Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1277

Dwight <boukmn at mindspring_com> wrote:

>Subject: Tiny Vallesnaria
>
>....I was poking about in my local lake when I chanced upon something unusual.
>I found a small patch of a tiny red-leafed vallesnaria grass. It was
>growing in 70cm of water. The leaves are maroon(red) in colour and no
>longer than 5cm. The leaf width is 8mm. I have never seen this species
>described in any publication or LFS. Does anyone sell this tiny red val?
>Is anyone familiar with this variety?

It may be a variety that is normally larger, but small in this case due to
some kind of nutrient deficiency.  Collect a plant or two, give it a brief
2-minute bleach treatment (5% bleach) and try to grow it in one of your
aquaria and see what it looks like.  If it stays small you might have
something new and we will all be lining up at your door.

Paul Krombholz, central Mississippi, enjoying dry, clear, cool Canadian
air.