Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:59:14 PDT
From: "Emery Ku" <em_ku at hotmail_com>
Subject: Mutations?

Okay guys,

I haven't written in a while, but that doesn't mean I haven't been reading
:)  Anyway, I had a question about my Rotala indica.  It's a nice plant
really, but that's not really the point.  In my tank, there are 2-leafed and
3-leafed varieties.  I've also seen 4-leafed varieties.  I know they're the
same plant though, because some plants that have changed over to 3 still
have 2 below on the same stalk.  It seems that if I cut the top section off,
sometimes 2 stalks come out with 2 leaves.  My dad, who is a plant
biologist, thinks that it's an environmental adaptation.  I was wondering if
anyone knew for sure.

Thanks for your ideas,
Emery