Re: RO/DI (was APD V3 #1273

Hello Kevin,

Aside from special-purpose RO membranes, optimized for a specific task,
the "typical" RO membrane excludes about 90% of all anions. Among the
common ions it does the worst with silicate (85-90%), best with
sulphate  (~99%) and phosphate (95-99%) because they are large ions,
easily excluded. Nitrate and chloride come in at about 90%.

I would suspect that the promotional DI literature overemphasizes the
~10% NOT removed by RO, in order to sell the DI units (some of which
produce other problems). In rare cases, a post-RO DI column might be
necessary, but definitely NOT needed with a run-of-the-mill potable
water system.

Best,

George