Re: RO extraction

Kevin writes:

> I have a question about what RO filters remove.  I had heard that they
remove
> just
>  about everything (up to 99%) but can't get phosphates, nitrates, and
> silicates.
>  One would need a DI unit to extract these.  I tested my tap and RO water
for
>  phosphates and nitrates (I don't worry about silicates) and found 0
nitrates
> in
>  both, high levels of phosphate in the tap, but none in the RO.  How is this
>  possible?  Can the carbon pre-filter remove phosphate?  Thanks, Kevin

Well, actually, Kevin, an RO unit should remove phosphates, silicates,
carbonates, and any other "ates" in your water.  Someone has informed you
wrongly.  As for the carbon pre-filter, I don't know.  I quit using carbon in
my box filters years ago, because the stuff that was available then would
actually add phosphates to my water.

Bob Dixon
Cichlid Trader List Administrator.