Cabomba is ill

Peter G. Aitken wrote:
> I have a fairly new planted tank (4 weeks since set-up) and while my
> Ludwigia and Rosetta swords are doing fine the cabomba does not look too
> well. At the top of the stems the leaves look fine, but on the bottom half
> or so of the stems the leaves are looking unhealthy then falling off. Can
> anyone offer any suggestions?

> 55 gallon at 80 degrees
> 220 watts of compact fluorescent lighting, on for 10 hours/day
> I have been using PhosGuard to reduce my high phosphate levels in hopes of
> heading off algae problems.

Wow!  Peter that's a LOT of light!  I've got a 50 gallon with 110w
PowerCompact fluorescents, on for 10 hours per day, and I can grow just
about anything (five different varieties of algae at last count, all doing
marvelously well).  I know Cabomba likes a lot of light but remember that
PowerCompacts emit more lumens per watt than standard than NO fluorescents
(Neil, are you listening?).   With lower light levels you might be able to
ditch the PhosGuard.

michael rubin
mrubin at visa_com
1(650) 432-4685