Re: A Solution to Co2 degassing, Biofiltration problem.

Because the volume of the filter compartment is small compared to the tank,
Louis Lin wrote:

>As the water level lowers, the powerhead will need to push harder because
>of the water pressure difference between the filter compartment and the
>tank.
>This will affect surface skimming and filtration as less water is going
>through the
>filter.  I can imagine at the extreme when there is not enough water to
>reach the
>filter intake, a mixture of air and water will be pump out from the
>powerhead
>at random, or the powerhead stops pumping because it cannot overcome the
>water pressure from the main tank.

When the Powerhead is strong and the tank volume low, I notice some of what
you say in regard to the sump going dry. The problem was corrected in
minutes by adding more water to the tank. Once the sump fills to 25%-50%
you stop adding water to the tank and the level in the sump stays at
25%-50%. The stronger the Powerhead, the lower the water level you can
maintain in the sump (the greater the wet/dry area) and the more powerful
will be your over-the-top into the sump flow.

With only a 1-2sq inch atmospheric exposure through the glass top,
evaporation is negligible. If a little Co2 gets liberated by the wet/dry
area no big deal; it has no place to go except back into solution.

I added a pic (good pic/BAD scan) to the bottom of the page of the first
setup I built with the new filter system. It worked so well I am
retrofiting ALL my tanks.
http://www.mindspring.com/~boukmn/Boukmn_s-Homepage.html
~D.Chang;
"A-stumpin' in Ft.Lauderdale"