Re: Flooring for fishroom

Aquatic Plants Digest wrote:

> Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 09:53:24 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Scott Slezak <saslezak at theory_uchicago.edu>
> Subject: Substrate for fish room
> Hi all,
> I'm going to moving into a new house in about a month, and I finally get
> my own fish room in the basement.  It is finished and carpeted right now,
> but I plan on removing the carpet.  What should it be replaced with?  I
> don't like vinyl all that much, so I was considering laminate flooring,
> like Pergo.  This is the very hard, supposedly waterproof stuff that is
> intended to look like hardwood.  Anyone have any experience with this?
> Any other suggestions?
> What would you have done differently in your fishroom if you could do it
> over again?
> Thanks,
> Scott Slezak

I'm in the planning stages of this my second fishroom(bigger, better!) .  I just
purchased a couple gallons of two part rubberized epoxy paint for the floors.  It
is advertised to not be slippery when wet.  An important consideration in a
fishroom.
As for Pergo, having looked at the stuff very carefully, I'd question the
durability of it long term under the type of compressive loads a full fish tank
can create.  After all, a full 125 can weigh well over 1500lbs. Add to that, I
don't know about the tackiness when it's wet.  Running your hand across the
surface gives me visions of a "slip and slide" with glass all around.
BTW: If you have a floor drain you can access, I highly reccommend a drain
manifold with inlets near each group of tanks. Makes water changes a snap.
Email me if you'd like the rest of the particulars on my plans.

Later,
Paul E. Turley