re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1262

On Tuesday, September 7, 1999 2:48:01 PM, Scott Slezak
<saslezak at theory_uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Also, I am in Chicago, which means concrete basement floors in the winter
> are very cold.  So I'd like something covering it, even if it is just a
> layer of vinyl flooring.
>
> Has anyone figured out a way to insulate basement floors and still put
> tanks on it?

You can put in a wood subfloor under your choice of flooring which should
help insulate it. You can also use electric heating cables in the floor.
Your basement should be very dry all year around of course. I'm not a big
vinyl floor fan either, but there are some nice looking sheet vinyls out now
that look very much like either wood or tile. I was completely fooled by a
showroom example recently when shopping for a new kitchen floor. Look at the
Mannington Bronze series, or the Armstrong Natural Inspirations series.

Unless you're trying to prepare for a major leak or are sloppy with water
changes, I would think even the laminates would be OK. You could even put an
extra coat or two of spar urethane on for extra protection.

Dan Dixon