Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1258

 Mr Purchase's tale of police terror tactics over the
>blue lights in his window only re-enforce my appreciation for the 4th
>amendment, and this great country many of us on this list have the privelege
>to live in.  Canada is a beautiful place, and I've had the privilege of
>sailing (all-expenses-paid, including neat clothes and "tour guides", by the
>US government) to every continent except South America and Antarctica.
>Nevertheless  I like it right here in the good old US of A.  :-)

Bob,

While an occassional situation such as James Purchase described might
happen in Canada, I can assure you, it happens far less often than it does
in the US of A. My cousin, who is a California resident was once peacefully
asleep in a motel along with her husband and kids when police broke in and
held a gun at her husbands head for a good hour of unforgetable terror
before they figured out they had the wrong room. I'm not sure her kid is
over it yet and that was 15 years ago. Quite a lot worse than coming in and
asking for some ID. It is a fact that the average citizen is MUCH safer
here... not just from the police but from their fellow citizens too... not
that I don't love the US and USers... cause I do. I live with one and I've
lived there and like it... but it's NOT as safe.

Olga
in Vancouver