bubbles and fish

In a previous thread Robert Paul wrote that he had never heard of
bubbles causing harm to fish.  Micro bubbles can cause serious harm to
fish.  If a solution of water is supersaturated with nitrogen, acute
air embolism can occur and quickly wipe out a population of fish.  At
MBA we take precautions to prevent such situations.  All airstones are
secured away from pumps that could atomize the outflowing air.  I've
seen fish that have died from such an incident.  All of their finnage
and gills were filled with bubbles of nitrogen.  Not a pretty sight.
The fish bends.  I would also guess that if a solution of water is
supersaturated with N2 dissolved oxygen would be limited.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark Faulkner