RE: Fe

>> have grown any a. gracilius, so I can't compare it to e. stellata. The
undersides of the leaves of e. stellata range from a pale to a dark
purplish
red, depending on Fe level. It only takes about 1-2 days to react to
fertilization.

>     High light doesn't, in and of itself, cause algae IMO.

That was pretty much my point. Excess Fe (> 0.2 mg/l by Lamotte) in my tank
causes thread algae to start growing. If I was trying to grow plants in the
dark, I could probably overdose everything with less overall impact.<<

I would agree, but I have also come to the conclusion that under high
intensity light algae will be much more of a bear regardless of nutrient
balancing. The only thing that has made a significant difference for me as
of late is running a diatome filter for 24 hours once a week...in addition
to monitoring iron, n, p, k, and other nutrients.

Robert Paul  H
http://www.aquabotanic.com
"Lots of good info and yes plants for sale"
winner of the StudyWeb Excellent Award
"top choice for educational resources for students and teachers"
http://www.studyweb.com/

Support the boycott of aquababies!
http://www.rk2000.com/boycott/aquababies.html