RE: Fe

> From: "Thomas Barr" <tcbiii at pacbell_net>
> Mr. Wilson wrote:
> >I look at it as simply proving that high light levels make
> everything happen
> >faster in the presence of the required nutrients. I really
> like some of the
> >high light plants like Eusteralis stellata which seems as accurate at
> >reporting Fe levels as my Lamotte kit. I'm willing to let Fe
> be a limiting
> >factor.
>
>    Are you saying that you use E.stellata as an Fe indicator?
> If so, do you
> look at color or general growth for your observations? It
> seems to be a
> sensitive plant generally. Therefore, it might prove better
> than say the
> color of Ammannia gracilius for Fe testing.

I have grown any a. gracilius, so I can't compare it to e. stellata. The
undersides of the leaves of e. stellata range from a pale to a dark purplish
red, depending on Fe level. It only takes about 1-2 days to react to
fertilization.

>     High light doesn't, in and of itself, cause algae IMO.

That was pretty much my point. Excess Fe (> 0.2 mg/l by Lamotte) in my tank
causes thread algae to start growing. If I was trying to grow plants in the
dark, I could probably overdose everything with less overall impact.

Jon Wilson
http://www.knology.net/~jwilson/plants.htm