Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1239

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 23:15:50 -0700
From: lovell <lovell at drizzle_com>
Subject: Blue Green Algae in choked tank

When my 60 gallon gets so overgrown that the circulation gets cut down
appreciably, I almost always start getting cyanobacteria.  It's usually
on the Cabomba tips or plumbing or glass up near the lights, but it's
also at the notorious gravel-glass interface.  Good light and low
circulation seem to be what it likes best.

Good morning,

I keep reading with much interest this newsgroup, even though I've been
lurkng for about the past month.  What does cyanobacteria look like?  I
think I may have this very thing, that I noticed just this morning---is
it rather brownish in color, sorta fluffy looking (kinda like pieces of
wet algae wafer just sitting there...I guess) and attaching itself to the
very tops of the Camomba.  This is the first time I've noticed anything
like this in my tank.  I would've thought that the snails would eat this,
but maybe not.

I also have a 10 gallon.  30 watts of GE plant lights.  Biowheel mini.
One other thing...the substrate I ended up with is a sand bottom, a mix
of vermiculite and peat, and then covered with plain aquarium gravel.
The Cabomba are rooting from everywhere, it seems, even about half way up
the stalk I can see hair-fine roots extending down.  I can see this
causing a problem after a bit.   But, the question is, has anyone noticed
vermiculite raising pH in a tank.  I had a recent raise in pH and thought
it could be from the vermiculite.  I may be tearing down this tank to
start again...

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.  Have a great day!

Rachel Hilgeford

p.s.  Sorry if you are on the Aquarium list and a similar question this
posted there yesterday--not with the cyanobacteria, though.