RE: Profile as a substrate

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Daniel asked:

Okay, I finally found a local source for profile.  I was wondering exactly
how those of you who use it, implement it in your tanks?  Do you put a layer
down and then put gravel/sand on top or do you just mix it right in w/ the
gravel, do you add any thing else to the substrate, etc?
Thanks,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I've used Profile in 2 tanks and did it the same both times.  First I cut up
some Jobes Palm and Fern sticks into quarters.  I used 1 1/2 stick per
square foot of tank and evenly placed these on the bare bottom.  Then
carefully added a layer of Profile, 3" in the back sloped to 1" in front.
Last, a 1" layer of gravel on top.  Worked great for me.

Bob Ashcraft
Pittsburgh, PA