Re: Metal halide

>Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:35:50 -0400
>From: Scott Freeman <sef at bellsouth_net>
>
>... Therefore, I was considering a metal halide but was concerned
>about having this hot of a bulb inches away from the water.  Exactly how
>close is too close?

We keep our bulbs 12-14" from the surface of the water. That's close enough
to give 15,000 Lux on the surface and not too close to make splashes a
danger.

>If I understand correctly, George recommended a
>6500K bulb (not too yellow).

No, 5500K. At least, that's what we use. 4300K is too yellow. I owuld bet
that 6500K and 5500K are pretty darn close.

George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  NEW! 7/19/99: Complete On-line Aquascping seminar. More good stuff to come!
    http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/