Re: Ich in planted tanks

I would siphon 5 gallons of water out of the tank into a bucket and filter it with a diatom filter to remove ich parasites.  Transfer the fish to this bucket and let that be their home while you treat them. If the fish are hardy species, you can treat them with a saltwater dip to strip off their slime coats before you put them in the bucket.  I've seen detailed instructions about this "salt dip" in the r.a.f.goldfish newsgroup.

Now run your diatom filter in the plant tank to remove remaining parasites. I've never had to try this, I've just read about it.  Good luck.

best regards,
bob