Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1203

>Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 07:07:59 -0600
>From: Beverly Wladyka <greybird at v-wave_com>
>Subject: Rusted Rock
>
>We're in the process of redesigning our 180 gal (6' x 2' x 2') after
>recently stripping it down to treat a persistent bout of dactylogyrus
>(egg-laying gill flukes).  The only good thing about having to start
>again is that we have the opportunity to redo what I now consider to be
>a lame first design.
>
>In keeping with our original Amazon stream biotope theme, we've decided
>to aquascape it to look as much like a stream bed as possible.  I
>picture the end result to feature roughly 60% plants (mostly a variety
>of Echinodorus), 25% mopani driftwood and fist-sized to football-sized
>smooth black river rock, 15% flourite, flourite-sized gravel and various
>loonie and slightly larger-sized smooth black river rock.  Thanks to the
>recent discussion on terracing, we'll be attempting various terraced
>levels to create more visual interest to the overall layout.
>
>A recent trip to a local quarry lead to us to bringing home some of the
>smooth black river rock (our guess is that it's basalt) we'd hoped we'd
>find (plus, in the small quantities we need for an aquarium, we got the
>stuff free).  The only problem with some of the rock is that it is
>stained, in some places, with rust.
>
>My plan is to soak these rocks for a week then test the water for iron
>to determine iron content, but first have a few questions that I hope
>the learned folks on the list can answer.  Is the rust going to be a
>problem for the fish?  Will the rust and the iron from which the rust
>comes be of any use to the plants?  Should rusted rock be used in an
>aquarium at all?
>
>Thanks in advance for your thoughtful answers.
>
>Beverly Wladyka
>Edmonton AB Canada
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>  http://cbt.bungi.com/amazonaquarium
>  http://cbt.bungi.com/indoorpond
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rust itself will pose no problem to your tank. I have quite a bit in some of
my tanks.
The rock might have some other impurities in there
Do the acid test also (HCL....... to see if it foams). I'd stay away from it
myself.
Rock is cheap.............hassles and deaths aren't!
Regards,
Tom Barr       in Marin Co. CA  ------where the tap water just grows plants
perfect.