Re: Halogen lights

> Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 13:23:52 -0500
> From: Andy Goss <Andy at Goss_net>
> Subject: Halogen lights
>
> Ok,  I need some advice...
>
> I have a 20 gallon tank that I am wanting to plant.  I noticed that the
> original hood has a single 18" 15 watt bulb.  I am wanting to find
> something that will provide 2-3 watts per gallon.

CAUTION! The 2-3W used here as a guideline minimum is *fluorescent* Watts,
and not halogen or incandescent Watts. All "Watts" aren't the same.

> I have seen a Halogen strip light used for accent lighting that is rated
> at 75 watts (3 - 25 watt bulbs).  Would this be sufficient?  Are there
> any concerns about using Halogen lights versus Florescent or regular
> Incandescent.

Yes, major concerns. They are way too hot and inefficient. About 50% more
efficient than regular incandescents, they are only about 1/4 as effective
(bright) as fluorescent tubes, in lumens/Watt. Certainly they are less than
half as effective for plants.

Don Lancaster has a fun and comprehensive lighting tutorial at:

http://www.tinaja.com/tinaja%5Findex/glib/muse95.pdf .

You will need Adobe Acrobat to read it, but the spectral curve and relative
energy plots are a real eye opener. ;-) I heartily urge anyone who is
thinking about tinkering with lighting to go read it. [Acrobat is a free
download, and you should have it anyway.] It includes a lot of good lighting
product sources, too.

Wright

--

         "DEMOCRACY" is two wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
     "LIBERTY" is a well-armed lamb denying enforcement of the vote.