Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1183

In a message dated 7/30/99 4:03:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

Just thought that I had to bring up all the negatives on these $%$ shrimp.
I'm sure that ymmv.  I have tried them twice.  My tank parameters are:  pH
4.5, temp 82F, no other problems.  I keep an Amazon only tank:  discus, rams,
keyholes, tetras, and corys.  Never lost a fish due to the shrimp, but.......

<< 1. How do they affect the bioload on a tank? Wouldn't 50 in a 29 gallon
 tank leave no room for fish? Amano suggests even more than that, but I
 suspect he does hourly water changes. :) >>

Don't know, they never lived long enough for me see a difference.  I had 20
in a 125 gallon, and in one week, they were gone.  I had 8 in a 15 gallon and
in two weeks, they were dead.  Notice the difference dead means I saw them
dead, gone means I never saw them again.

 2. How do they get along with other tank inhabitants? Do they eat snails?
 Do they get along with Cory cats and Peckolitas? Do they get eaten by fish?>>

They don't bother anything, but yes they can be eaten by everything:  rams,
keyhole cichlids, discus, etc.

 3. Joe's web site says they don't really eat BBA. Is the jury still out on
 this? (since I currently have more species of alga in my tank than plants,
 I'm sure they'd eat *something* though.) >>

Try duckweed, it lasts and lasts and really keeps the algae from ever getting
going.  And it's cheap.  I've spent $80 on those things and best I can do is
look at them in Amano's pictures.

I'm not bitter though.......just wiser.

Rich D'Ottavio
Pittsburgh - where it's a desert one day and the Nile the next.