Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1172

Aquatic Plants Digest wrote:
> Hey Everyone I've just put together my first yeast CO2 generator. It seems to
> be generating 1 bubble per sec. I have routed the gas outlet line into the
> interior of a ceramic castle that is located inside my 50 Gallon fish tank.
> After several hours the CO2 has collected in the castles bowls and every once
> in a while the overflow leaks out to be released to the surface.

I cut the top off a small water bottle, and use that to collect and dissipate
the
CO2 from my yeast CO2 system.  Originally it just bubbled out from under the
plastic bottle top when too much CO2 collected.  With that setup, my pH stayed
at a consistant 7.0 (down from the tap-water 7.4).   I have since modified the
plastic bottle, to force the over-flow CO2 into my power filter intake.   I've
had it running this was for several weeks, and the pH is down to a very stable
6.6.  Plant growth increased once I started directing the overflow into the
filter.

One nice thing about using the clear plastic water bottle for a simple
reactor is that I can visually see the CO2 level that has collected.
Last week, the water level in the reactor starting rising, and I knew
it was time to mix up a new yeast mixture.   I started a new yeast
bottle, and let it sit for 1 day, then connected it to the reactor in
place of the old bottle, and the pH stayed constant.

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with your current setup, but all
the CO2 that bubbles straight up to the surface is lost, so it's not the
most efficient.  But it's probably adding some CO2 to the water, and
every little bit will help!

--
Chuck Gadd
Director of Software Development, Cyber FX Communications