Re: Chloramine & Water Quality

> Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 12:54:20 -0400
> From: "Laurence Aurbach Jr" <ljaurbach at erols_com>
> Subject: Chloramine & Water Quality
>
> I'm  designing my tank water maintenance system, and I'd like to find
> out how effective those standard carbon block filters from Home Depot
> are at removing chloramines in a single pass. Can anyone hazard a guess?

I had a bad experience with one of those carbon block units meant for
home filtration.  I bought the best Omni CB-3 carbon cartridge,
installed it in my RO unit and promptly killed a neon and stressed other
fish because of the ample amounts of chlorine being dumped on them.  I
know the cartridge fit tight in the canister, so no water should've
gotten around it, yet chlorine was in the water.

I later bought a chlorine test kit and the correct cartridges for my RO
unit.  Zero chlorine and the cartridges I bought were a lot cheaper than
that CB-3.

--

Kelly Beard, Cat IV (on sabbatical)
President, Allanti Cycling Club