Re: Re: chloramine

Hello gang,

The Region (Ottawa-Carleton) aims for 0.8 to 1.0 ppm chloramine in
the water supply as it leaves the Plant, and for 0.2 ppm minimum at
the tap in districts farthest from source. It varies from summer to
winter, but my understanding is that 0.8 pm would be at the low end.
Plenty of cities add two or three times this amount.

I believe that some fish such as salmon are very sensitive to
chloramine in ppb, not ppm.

Bob Dixon wrote...

<bits deleted>

>While I can't dispute the thought that a 20% change was responsible for your
>lost plants, I still find it unlikely based on my personal experience.  But
>my experience doesn't mean you're wrong.  I wonder if temperature or other
>factors may have played into it.

I'm not sure of the source, but my notes yielded the following.

"Cool, alkaline water drastically reduces the stability and toxicity of
the compound. Monochloramine is the least toxic because it releases the
least amount of hypochlorous acid, the disinfecting agent."

Douglas Bertelsen <dbert at umr_edu>
>Subject: Chloramine Quandry...
>
>After putting my college education to use and a bit of web surfing:
>EVERYTHING BELOW IS BASED ON APPROXIMATES.  NO
>EXPERIMENTERS WERE HARMED DURING THESE
>CALCULATIONS!!!  : ))
>

>Half-life of chloramine: 8 hours to 20 days depending on conditions

So if one wishes to reduce the level to below 0.1 ppm you wait
one day to six months depending upon "conditions" -both initial
chloramine levels and environmental factors.

Regards,

--
Dave Whittaker
Gloucester, Ontario