Natural Sunlight for Aquariums?

I am posting this question for a friend of mine who is contemplating
renovating his roof to take advantage of natural sunlight for his aquariums.
I know from personal experience that algae and temperature could be a
problem but I thought I would post the question to you experts out there (or
anybody who has experimented with this).  What are the inherent advantages
and disadvantages of using natural sunlight for aquariums?  My friend lives
in Indonesia so the sunlight intensities shouldn't vary too much throughout
the year.  Any comments would be appreciated.  Thanks,

Craig David
Long Beach, CA