Re: Chloramine thread.

Chloramine is made of chlorine and ammonia.  A certain percentage of it
>naturally breaks down into the two main components, until it reached what I
>think the chemically enlightened call "equilibrium".  Then the chlorine
>dissipates, and the ammonia is removed by your plants and/or biological
>filter.  This takes the "equilibrium" away, so more chloramine breaks down.
>Then more dissipates/gets removed, then more breakes down.  It isn't in a
>staggered process like I'm compelled here to describe it.  It is a
continuous
>reaction, or perhaps chain reaction.  I've lived where there have been
>chlorine, and where there has been chloramine.  It has been close to 20
years
>since I have used any kind of de-chlorinating agent.  I let new tanks stand
>overnight, and anytime I make a water change over 30%, I have fresh "aged"
>water standing by.
>
>If the chlorine/chloramine threat were as great as the makers of Novaqua
want
>you to think, the makers of the Python No-Spill Clean and Fill would have
>gone under a ling time ago.  This handy product lets you put water into your
>tank from a kitchen sink or a garden spigot.  The chlorine/ goes in right
>with the water, and by next day, it's all gone.  Chloramine takes a little
>longer, but it still removes itself.
>
>Bob Dixon

Bob;
	I have lost an entire tank of plants to a 20% chloramine-laced tap water
change a few yeas ago (It was a straight addition, however). At the time I
had no idea chloramine would actually damage plants. Nowadays, I use an
inexpensive Kleen-plus CTR-210 countertop water filter with an ordinary
carbon filter and I avoid chloramine and chemical dechlorinators altogether.
	Before I put this liquid menace in my tanks in ANY amount I am surely not
alone in needing some specific values for time, concentration and volume
before taking such a chance. Is it safe for example, to assume all
municipalities add chloramine in identical concentrations? Perhaps it is.
But if not, is it possible that the initial concentration may affect the
length of time neaded for this Rxn to eliminate chloramine?  What about the
initial volume of tap water that should be stored? Is its volume also to be
factored in?
	I think a formula would clarify the questions. Something like; INITIAL
CONC. CHLORAMINE (Xmg/L) over some TIME(X days) will yield ----> FINAL
CONC. CHLORAMINE (Zero mg/L) at TIME (Zero days).

~David Boukmn.